Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dwarf Fortress

It was spring. Finally, the harsh winter was over. With the change of seasons, a caravan of elven traders decided to pay a visit to my fortress. My dwarfs started bringing up the various goods we had crafted in anticipation of trading with the elves.
Suddenly, goblins spring out and ambush the elves! I organize two squads, and send them out to fight off the goblins. Many of the elves, caught by surprise, are almost instantly slain. Only one of my dwarves, known as Iden Nitigmeng Olonthir Nentuk, a champion, is ready for battle. He rushes outside to combat the goblins, while the remaining elves run towards the safety of the fortress. One of them is butchered, but there are still two more. There are twelve goblins, who catch up to the elves just outside my walls. They engage in fierce fighting as Iden runs as fast as he can to reach them. By the time he gets there, all of the elves are dead. Furious with rage, Iden takes his hammer and blasts over half of the twelve goblins about twenty feet backwards (no joke). They never get back up. The other goblins try to run away, but Iden quickly destroys them.
I let the rest of my dwarves out of the fortress, and they quickly go to loot the bodies of both friend and foe. None of them seem particularly worried about the dead elves. Afterwards, one of my miners decides to throw a party.

Such is Dwarf Fortress.

4 comments:

  1. Hm...interesting...is this a stand-alone story or one for a game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually its me narrating myself playing Dwarf Fortress, which is a free super complex addicting fantasy strategy/simulation game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DF stories rule. Did he knock the goblins back all at once or was it in turn?

    ReplyDelete